Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Acts of Service

~We can do small and large acts of service. We should never fail to help someone because we are unable to do great things.

 Every Starbucks is a part of a community, and we’re committed to helping create thriving neighborhoods wherever we do business. It’s a commitment rooted deep in our heritage and the belief that we can use our scale to be a catalyst for positive change.  
Throughout  April, we're inviting our partners (employees) and customers worldwide to join together, as change makers, to take action and make a positive impact in their neighborhoods. Our goal is to engage in 2,000 meaningful service projects and contribute 200,000 hours of service to help address local community needs around the world.

Today i voulenteerd  three hours of my day, at the boys and girls club in Roy.
We helped the kids dye eggs and make easter baskets. I really enjoy making kids smile and it also makes me feel good too:)

My dad tought me early on in life to always serve others, and to be a friend. I will never forget the day my dad took me to the Christmas house, to help voulenteer. It was very humbiling and emotional for me. Most of the items were very recycled looking. I watched the parents pick out what they needed. Most of the parents looked sad but yet really greatfull. I kept the list of items that each family was allowed to take. It reads:

Christmas House Shopping List

Each family receives (if available)

1 Used game or puzzel per family
2 Books for each child
1 Gift from the adult table per family
1 Family pack
1 Piece of jewelry for each girl, teen or woman
1 New gift choice: a game or stuffed toy or doll or clothing item
1 Bag of stocking stuffers for each child
1 Pair of socks for each child
1 Bag candy or candy canes for each family
1 Used clothing and warm items as needed per person
6 Tree ornaments and a holiday decoration per family
1 Used stuffed toy for each child
1 Refurbished doll per girl child

I know if my parents did this for my sibilings and i for Christmas, we all would have thrown a fit.
This is why i am so greatful christmas morning. As we think of the problems of others, our own problems seem less serious. I love serving others. I love the many blessing you recieve from it.

~We have many opportunities to serve our neighbors, our friends and even strangers. If we have special talents, we should use them to serve others.

1 comment:

  1. I remember when we did that! I think about that day every Christmas morning and remember how fortunate and thankful I am for the life we were given.

    ReplyDelete